Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Playing Catch-Up Already

It's still the first week of the year and I'm already playing catch-up.  I had hoped to update the blog every day or every two days, but that hasn't happened.  So here it goes:

Monday I ran 3 miles again.

And it was so cold.  I wore long sleeves and pants, and luckily I had gloves in the car, but I had nothing to cover my ears and no jacket.  Typical poor planning on my part.  I think it was in the 30s.  Speaking of gloves, these have been my favorite for running for years:

The flap that opens is perfect for when you warm up a little bit but it's still freezing outside and you don't want to take them all the way off.  One of these days I want to do a My Favorite Things post.  I have so many essentials that I need for my "free" sport.  Speaking of essentials, I not only forgot to wear warm clothing on Monday, I forgot to take my Garmin with me.  I remembered as I pulled into the gym parking lot.  By then, it was too late to go back home.  The littlest girl was ready to go play at the childcare and I at least knew the three-mile route well enough to not need the Garmin for distance, but I totally felt lost without it.  I don't enjoy not knowing or planning my pace, which I think must have been pretty fast since I was dying to get out of the cold.

After that on Monday, the big kids had karate and ice skating in the evening, which involves a lot of coordinated time management and hours in the car.

Tuesday I did something I've wanted to do forever:

I ate salad for breakfast.  The only thing I'd do different next time is add some tomato and cucumber (I just didn't have any yesterday).  How could starting the day with green veggies be wrong, even if it's not traditional breakfast fare??

It also snowed on Tuesday, and was so cold:

I was thankful it was a gym day and not a running day.  The littlest girl and I went to the gym in the morning.  I laughed when I printed out my workout:

280 pound leg press!?  I regularly do 230 as my heaviest set, and I had never done more than 250.  So I tried.  It wasn't happening.  I wound up doing 260 and was pretty happy with that.  My legs aren't so happy about it today.

Then I did the dreaded TreadClimber for 25 minutes since I had signed the littlest up for story time and it wasn't over yet.

That machine is awful.
Dinner was in the crock pot since I knew we would be busy with more kids' activities in the evening,

but lunch was with friends at Chick-fil-A.  I don't care what diet you're on, if it doesn't include Chick-fil-A fries you're missing out.

And no, I didn't use all of those honey roasted bbq sauces ( I gave one to my friend).  While we were there, the littlest girl's friend said, "You're my best friend forever!"  Super cute.  My awesome child responded with, "Yeah!  I'm not going to hit you."  What??

After all that last night all three girls started swim lessons.  The big girls did swimming this summer and do a fairly decent job.  The littlest had never done lessons, and she did so good.  I figure with the prospect of moving to an island this summer, they better be proficient swimmers!  I had one kid in every lesson level, and it was so convenient to have them all in the pool at the same time.

I just wish the lessons were an hour instead of a half so I had enough time to workout!

I've been thinking a lot about my running goals for this year.  The under two hour 1/2 is still my main goal. However, if that happens in one of the spring half marathons I plan on doing, what's next?  With the move likely happening in early July, I will still have plenty of time to plan for a fall goal, and if the move occurs as planned to a year-round warm weather locale, I won't have to consider seasonal constraints at all.  So many options!!

No comments:

Post a Comment